Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I started braces with an orthdontist in one state and had to

Hello - I started braces with an orthdontist in one state and had to move due to job transfer 7 months into the treatment. In that time, she had x-rays, molds done, expander placed, and brackets installed and a couple of band changing appointments. The total cost of treatment was given at 5800 for the duration. Between my payments and insurance, they have received about 2,100 so far. When I moved I asked what to do about payments, and if i needed to keep paying or would they pro-rate, or what. They said the Dr will have to decide. They printed out what I paid and he looked at it and said, that's fine, I think you paid enough and told them upfront at the desk. Fast forward to today, and I've received a bill for the rest - it said they'd been trying to collect since the month I left, but the wrong address was on the envelop and I guess only the smarts of the post man did it arrive finally to my old address and the new owner forwarded separately to me. I called and they said the doctor doesn't do the finances and they don't have any paper work to say and that I owe them the whole thing, including the insurance part. I'm just trying to get a feel of what is an appropriate amount to have paid for what we did receive. In my mind, the total amount would be for the continuing appointments and adjustments and retainers. Thank you
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Dentist. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?
Customer: how much is the fee?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: what's the approximate price for an answer?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: no

Normally the cost is spread out over a 2 to 4 year period. With only 7 months into the treatment,half of the cost would be a reasonable amount for the dentist to expect.This should cover the costs of the models,the consultations,the placing of the brackets and bands and any initial adjustments that were made.If $2100 was already paid to the dentist,he should accept $800 as payment in full considering that two years worth of adjustments and visits will not be provided. That is my opinion and I think that would be a reasonable offer.