Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have braces which often cause pain in various places in my

Customer Question

I have braces which often cause pain in various places in my mouth and jaw so when I started having ear pain I didn't think much of it however when using my waterpik the other day I had some pain in a lower wisdom tooth molar. The tooth itself doesn't hurt when tapping or chewing, etc. However when poking around there I had slight pain at the gum line. I am pretty sure i have a cavity at the gumline. It is on the lower wisdom tooth. I am missing the tooth in front of it and this tooth is slightly tilting now because of it. I had bite turbos on and just got them off a few weeks ago and now I am biting more with this tooth and hiting it first. I am having occasional ear pain however i cannot recreate the pain from touching the tooth etc. I am not sure if thats the cause. My question is can a gumline cavity cause ear pain or does that mean i automatically need a root canal. I had ear pain with another tooth before that needed a root canal so now I am nervous. I also have TMJ. What are your thoughts.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 1 month ago.

Well based on all your symptoms it sounds a lot more like TMJ related pain from occlusal changes. What is your reasoning for thinking there is a gumline cavity? Is there something that you see, and if so could you supply a picture because that would help me verify if that could be a source of your discomfort.