Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I had a tooth extracted Dec 2nd, have had it irrigated and

Customer Question

I had a tooth extracted Dec 2nd, have had it irrigated and packed twice. My bone is now exposed and I can't get in to oral surgeon until the 16th. My concern is I now have swollen lymph nodes in my throat and pain behind my ears. Could this be contributed to the infection ?
JA: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No fever and maybe a little off balance a couple of times
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: There is nothing else to say. I'm concerned about if the infection has spread to my lymph nodes. Can that happen
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thanks for posting your question.

Sorry you are still in so much discomfort. It sounds as if you developed a dry socket after the extraction which is why your bone is exposed and not covered by tissue which does cause a considerable amount of pain. Having swollen lymph glands ids part and parcel of an infection and the lymph nodes and glands are the collection depots for the inflammatory process. The infection has not spread to the lymph nodes it just collects there and then travels to the kidneys to be excreted. However, I do suggest that you take an antibiotic to avoid any exacerbation of the problem. If you cannot reach your OS you can get the medication from an ER or Urgent care. The drugs of choice are Amoxicillin and Clindamycin. It takes 4-6 weeks to heal properly but you will not be pain the entire time. Hope this makes sense to you. If you need more information please ask. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?