Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I've had my wisdom teeth removed years ago but I'm

Customer Question

I've had my wisdom teeth removed years ago but I'm experiencing pain where they once were
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?
Customer: Yes my jaw hurts
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I noticed that my very back molar on the top have suddenly developed a sharp point in the back Maybe the piece of the tooth finally came through idk Another thing is it's just sore back there, a similar ache to before I got my wisdom teeth removed on my top and lower rows
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 month ago.

Hi, sorry you are in so much pain.

From your description it sounds as if you may have a bony spicule or piece of bone that has migrated to the surface. This is quite common after removal of wisdom teeth as many small pieces of bone are not totally removed during the extraction and they can take years to migrate to the surface. The only other situation that would cause pain and swelling is a pericornitis which is swelling and inflammation cause by debris that has not been removed. However, this is not usually described as having a "sharp point" as you have described. For now I suggest you use some warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. For any pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. I would also suggest that you call your dentist tomorrow and get in for an exam and Xray. A bony spicule is easily handled by your dentist and is quite an easy short procedure. Hope all this makes sense to you. If you need more information please ask. Thanks.

Hi, just following up on your problem. How are you doing today?

Did you need more information?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I set an appointment for my dentist but I am still experiencing pain. Hopefully my issue will be resolved soon.

Excellent. I am sure that it will be an easy fix for you especially if it is just a piece of unattached bone that has migrated out. An Xray and visual exam will help determine exactly what is going on. Good luck!! :)

I would appreciate it if you would let me know what your dentist finds and you can use this same thread to let me know. Please remember to accept our interaction so that I get credit for responding. Thanks and have a great weekend.