Greg Millar
Greg Millar,
Experience:  Owner/Dentist at Millar Family Dentistry
97103233

I suffer from Acid reflux for just a week now. I read that

Customer Question

I suffer from Acid reflux for just a week now. I read that apple cider vinegar mixed with water would help. I put a little less than a table spoon of apple cider vinegar in a coffee cup filled with water and had a couple of sips. I then read that it might be bad for teeth so within a few minutes I brushed my teeth. After doing that I read that brushing your teeth after drinking apple cider vinegar is the worse thing you can do. Today my teeth feel a little more sensitive and the front teeth feel rough on the back. Not sure if they were like that before and I didnt notice or if I have done damage to them. Is it possible that I may have permanently damaged the enamel on my teeth after just one time of a couple of sips of Apple cider vinegar and water (plus the brushing) or does it take many times to erode the enamel of a tooth?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Greg Millar replied 2 months ago.

One time probably didn't do a lot of damage but the general recommendation for the future is to wait around 40 minutes or more after having acidic food before brushing. Noticable damage occurs with chronic use. We see damage in people who suck on lemons, and grapefruit, and also people who have chronic reflux with stomach acid coming into the mouth. Having more acid is not the way to get rid of reflux. I am not an MD but I have reflux and Ranitidine/Zantac is good for flare ups as well as Tums/Rolaids. If it is a chronic issue your MD or Gastro may want to put you on a Proton Pump Inhibitor like Nexium or Prilosec.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a couple of sips of apple cider vinegar and water did not make my teeth rough? It would take many times?
Is there anything I can do to recover from potential damage? I got sensodine repair formula. Will that help or could a dentist do something better for me.

Months or years of doing it depending on susceptibility of your teeth. Enamel loss cannot be recovered but I doubt you have made significant difference after one time. Sensodyne or similar toothpastes with Potassium Nitrate will help with sensitivity. FYI It takes 2 weeks to have full effect and has a bad aftertaste. If the rough feelings continues I suggest a cleaning at a dental office. Everyone should have a yearly dental exam

Please rate my response so I can close the question