Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Dentist is recommended\\ root canal. I have a bridge that is

Customer Question

dentist is recommended\\ root canal. I have a bridge that is about 22 years old. The bridge is over 4/5 teeth. Dentist is planning to remove old bridge, root canal, post after root canal and new bridge. Is replacing 22 year old bridge best plan?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: I get cleanings every three months. At the last cleaning cavity under bridge was discovered. I then went to prostodentist.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 17 days ago.

Many times,the root canal can be done right through the existing bridge and the need to remove it is not necessary. Do you have xrays of the area or pictures that you can upload? Were you told that there is decay on one of the abutment teeth under the bridge?