Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a couple infected, impacted wisdom teeth. I can't get

Customer Question

I have a couple infected, impacted wisdom teeth. I can't get into a dentist until tomorrow or the next day because of the new year. I am taking ibuprofen for the swelling byt it isnt helping much with pain. Pain and swelling have spread throughout my jaw. Can I take Cipro 500mg to start attacking the infection? And will this help any with the pain?
JA: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?
Customer: Yes to both. Pain has spread and worsened
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I have a couple infected, impacted wisdom teeth. I can't get into a dentist until tomorrow or the next day because of the new year. I am taking ibuprofen for the swelling byt it isnt helping much with pain. Pain and swelling have spread throughout my jaw. Can I take Cipro 500mg to start attacking the injection? And will this help any with the pain?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Even though Cipro is not the drug of choice,it will help get the infection and swelling under control. You can take two to start and then 500 mg every 12 hours. It will take a bout 48 hours to start working but it will help. Take 600 mg of ibuprofen and then alternate every 4 hours with tylenol 1000 mg to give some even stronger pain relief. Rinse with some strong salt water or hydrogen peroxide mixed 1:1. Rinse every 3 to 4 hours.