Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I know I have a tooth that needs to be pulled but it is not

Customer Question

I know I have a tooth that needs to be pulled but it is not causing me any pain... but I woke up this morning with a swollen jaw... right along the jaw bone - on the outside of my mouth. It seems to have gone up in selling through out the day. I have swished salt water through out my mouth in hopes that possibly it would go down through the decayed tooth. I am trying an ice pack now. It's not painful but very irritating. What can I do to help this until I am able to get a dentist appointment... it is a holida and most likely won't see anyone until Tuesday
JA: Is the pain consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: there is no pain
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I know I have a tooth that needs to be pulled but it is not causing me any pain... but I woke up this morning with a swollen jaw... right along the jaw bone - on the outside of my mouth. It seems to have gone up in selling through out the day. I have swished salt water through out my mouth in hopes that possibly it would go down through the decayed tooth. I am trying an ice pack now. It's not painful but very irritating. What can I do to help this until I am able to get a dentist appointment... it is a holida and most likely won't see anyone until Tuesday
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

It is important that you contact your dentist by phone or get to an urgent care center to have them prescribe an antibiotic for you right away. The swelling that you are experiencing will continue to get worse.The tooth of course needs to be extracted ASAP. There is no other cure when a tooth is infected like this and there is nothing that you can do at home except rinsing with salt water. These infections can be serious so delaying treatment is not advised. Penicillin,amoxicillin or Clindamycin are the antibiotics of choice. Do you have any access to any of these?