Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Second opinion] I had a crown placed upper left molar, it

Customer Question

Second opinion] I had a crown placed upper left molar, it feels too big and changed my bite on the right back molars. Dentist has filed molars on left 5x. It seems to be the 3 legged table effect. I have pain down my neck and shoulders, molars on right sensitive to cold. check for TMJ, no TMJ....HELP it's been going on since late October
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: neck pain began 4 days after crown was placed. the crown feels and looks big in my mouth
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: no numb or tingling, however very painful. it feels the back molars on the opposite side are too high, however each time filed it's high in another spot
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 23 days ago.

It sounds like your problems started after the crown was placed. If the crown feels too big,it probably is. Many times they are not checked carefully and your dentist does not seem familiar with how to do a bite adjustment carefully. Was this a crown that was made in the office?. Is it all ceramic or is there metal underneath the porcelain?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 23 days ago.

Is there any way that you can upload a picture of this crown so that I can have a look at it?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
it was made in a lab, it felt and looks big. The articulating paper shows it's not high and it doesn't feel high, however my guess is that my tongue or mouth doesn't like it and it's causing my bit to move to the right (opposite side) so that my molars on opposite side are not matching and they are high causing much pain. The molars on opposite side have been filed several times, each time it's the 3 legged table effect. I have been advised that if the crown is removed it can break original tooth
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 23 days ago.

The crown can easily be cut off in about two minutes without hurting the tooth. Your problems started with a crown that was not made correctly. It should be removed and remade. Is the dentist an experienced one?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 22 days ago.

If you have no further questions,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 22 days ago.

Is there something else that I can help you with?