Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Toothache/pain in my lower back jaw sometimes when I chew.

Customer Question

Toothache/pain in my lower back jaw sometimes when I chew. Non persistent pain, only occurs randomly when I chew sometimes. What could be the cause ? Thanks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

There may be many causes but without seeing your X-rays,it would be difficult to make an accurate diagnosis. Chewing pain could result from an abscessed tooth or could come from the opposing tooth striking the tooth in question too hard. Many times it is not a tooth issue but could be a bite issue. Do you have any swelling? Can you put your finger on a tooth that hurts? Do you have pain to hot or cold foods?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can't put a finger on tooth that hurts and can't fee obvious swelling
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could it be wisdom tooth ?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

If you had an abscess,you would be able to put your finger on a tooth that hurts.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any missing teeth that have not been replaced? Do you grind your teeth or clench?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

I cannot comment on your wisdom teeth without seeing a picture and an X-ray of your mouth. How old are you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
25
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 4 months ago.

You are at an age when wisdom teeth can be a problem. Have you had a panorex or panoramic X-ray taken of your mouth in the past couple of years?Do you grind or do you have missing teeth?Can you upload a picture of the area in your mouth that is sore?