Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My husband has been in the hospital 2 weeks his mental

Customer Question

My husband has been in the hospital 2 weeks his mental status is not comming back I keep telling the Dr his teeth are all routed I believe he has a bad tooth causing him to have a problem with his mental status comming back in NC that position
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: He is in the hospital he is sepsis he is on med but his mental statues is not comming back could it be his teth causing it
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 days ago.

It is very unlikely that his teeth are the cause of his diminished mental status.Septicemia can cause a diminished mental status but the likelihood that his teeth caused a systemic illness is quite rare.Before this would have happened he would have most likely had a certain period of pain and swelling in his jaw and neck area.The swelling would have progressed down his neck and he would have been uncomfortable.After that the fever starts and he would have been feeling pretty bad.Teeth have a natural way of draining the infection into the submandibular glands under the angle of the jaw.This area would have been noticeable first before any real signs of generalized sepsis would be happening.How old is your husband? Have they identified the bacteria causing the sepsis yet?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 5 days ago.

Are you still there?