Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have three red irritated spots in my gums for a while. It

Customer Question

I have three red irritated spots in my gums for a while. It is NOT Lichenplantis. Today a periodontist ordered Clobetasol Propionate 0.05%. That would be off label but he said he has used it many times with success. Is this done a lot?
JA: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?
Customer: NO acute swelling. No bleeding except when my teeth are cleaned there is some but not much.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: NO I have excellent teeth and was told that today. So about two months ago I started getting pain after using my Sensydine tooth paste. I am now switched to a tooth paste with less chemicals.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 12 days ago.

I can't tell you that using a topical steroid mouth rinse is prescribed a lot.If you had Lichen planus ,many time steroids are used to treat the symptoms.There is no cure for lichen planus so al they can do is offer some palliative relief.There are topical steroids that would be more appropriate that stick right where you put them because they contain pectin.If you don't have a generalized area or areas where these red areas are,you would have better results with Kenalog in Orabase .1%.The generic name is triamcinolone dental paste.It is a potent steroid and will stay on the affected area,I see no reason to subject all of the mouth tissues to steroid absorption if you don't need them.I will say this as far as the popularity of these off label steroid,in all of my 37 years of practice,I have never heard of anyone using this preparation.Does any of this help?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 12 days ago.

The Sensodyne may have been the cause of the irritation.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 12 days ago.

Are you still there?