Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Recently i noticed my tongue was yellow. Went to doctor ran

Customer Question

Recently i noticed my tongue was yellow. Went to doctor ran blood work everything normal. In the shower the yellow film wipes off with a wash cloth and tongue looks normal but it comes back by the next morning. What should I do.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi Justin, thanks for posting your question today.

Most of the time, the cause of a white or yellow tongue is harmless and temporary.

The surface of your tongue is covered with papillae that can become inflamed and it is caused by dead bacteria, debris and dead cells getting stuck among them. In general, smoking, excessive mouth breathing, dehydration, excessive alcohol intake, and poor oral hygiene can cause the papillae to become inflamed as well as spicy acidic foods. This can lead to a white or yellow tongue. Stomach (gastric) issues ( from enzymes) can also cause a change in the appearance of the surface of the tongue. This is usually harmless and will normally disappear without treatment within a 2-3 week period.

However, if this persists you can also try using a tongue cleaner and start any mouthwash that contains Chlorhexidine Gluconate to see if that helps prevent the film from forming.

If it still keeps developing then I suggest you call your dentist for an examination before wiping off the film that develops so that it can be actually seen on your tongue. Hope all this makes sense to you. If you need more information please ask. Thanks and have a great day. Here is a website with more information:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/white-tongue/basics/causes/sym-20050676

Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 2 months ago.

Hi Justin,

Did you need more information?