Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

My mouth has had a burning sensation for over a year. I had

Customer Question

My mouth has had a burning sensation for over a year. I had worn dentures for several years with no problems then all of a sudden my mouth began to get sore and burn. I have had peridontal disease and still had six teeth left on the bottom. I thought that might be the cause, so I got them pulled and got new dentures. Almost everything I eat burns my mouth. My dentist nor doctor have any idea what is causing it. I don't have any vitamin deficiencies that they can find. Help!
JA: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?
Customer: I don't have any teeth. They have bled when I brushed and flossed in the past but I have had all my teeth pulled or they have come out as a result of the peridontal disease. I have taken a lot of antibiotics. All around my mouth burns and itches and sometimes up in my sinuses in the back of my mouth. The only swelling I have is when the dentist pulled my last teeth he put 2 implants in. They haven't healed completely, but the rest of my mouth is pretty well healed up.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: What kind information do you need?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi Melba, thanks for posting your question today.

Burning Mouth Syndrome is a very complicated event that can have many causes. The most common cause is dry mouth and allergies to dental products used in the mouth. Hormonal changes from (e.g.)Thyroid changes and Diabetes are possible causes of burning mouth. Nutritional deficiencies and blood pressure medications have also been known to cause a burning sensation. Acid reflux disease and even yeast infections can cause burning mouth syndrome. You may need to have a workup by specialists in oral medicine or even dermatologists or ENT in order to come up with a diagnosis and fix. So you see this is quite involved and may require you to even go to a dental school oral medicine department for help. Here are two websites that describe your problem in greater detail:

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/Topics/Burning/BurningMouthSyndrome.htm and

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3429973/

Hope all this helps you find a solution. If you need more information please ask. Thanks.