Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

How do I cure chelitis, No doctor. Dentist suggested some

Customer Question

How do I cure chelitis
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No doctor. Dentist suggested some vitamin (b6) and identified the cause of lips swelling and chapped.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No injuries. Since mid August
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 6 months ago.

Do you have the cheilitis on the lips, corners of lips, all around the mouth?

Cheilitis can definitely be from a Vit. B6 deficiency, but there are a variety of other things that could be causing it as well. So to take a vitamin, that's one easy way to try to get relief, however it may be from a inflammation or irritation to a lip gloss, chapstick, toothpaste, it could be from sun damage that needs to be looked at by a dermatologist, it could be more autoimmune based in which you might need a topical steroid to help treat.

It basically depends on the severity you are experiencing, and how badly you want to get to the bottom of what's causing this fissuring. But I agree with your dentist in that you should start with nutritional deficiency. How else can I help you with this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll try the B6 for a while longer. What is the next best step?

If the B6 isn't helping, the next step I would say is to go to a dermatologist. The dermatologist can get you the best topical medications for the area based on their working diagnosis of what is causing your cheilitis. I've had many colleagues that have toothpaste allergies that develop cheilitis and although they changed pastes, it helps to get some topical cortisone to help the area heal.

Is there anything else I can help answer for you, and if not, to close the conversation please rate the experience and it will be finalized. Again, take care!