Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist
Experience:  OMS
94852287

I went to have to teeth prepped for crowns they are on top

Customer Question

I went to have to teeth prepped for crowns they are on top right next to each other. I have had pain in my teeth, gum t o my ear and up to my eye after this for 2 weeks. dentist seen me and didn't put on crowns but ground them down and wait another week to see if they settle down. I am now having sever headaches that 2 extra strength Tylenol wont take away? Plus a steady ear annoyance my head feels like something is taking over it?
JA: Did you have a recent injury to the eye? How is your vision?
Customer: no injury to the eye but in the past I did have a little pressure on my optic nerve. I have noticed I cant see as well close up
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I had went in for an annual eye test and the optimalogist said I had some pressure so he sent me to eye specialist who that day said it was ok. Had it checked month ago and was good as well.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. G replied 20 days ago.
Hi based on your symptoms above I think you have 2 unrelated processes going on. The dental pain is common after crown preparation and your dentist is right to wait on placing the final crowns. The origin can be the gum tissue (often gets irritated from the temporary crowns) or it can be the nerve of one or both of the teeth themself. It is possible you may end up needing a root canal on one or both if the pain persists.Now to your eye complaints. In no way can blurry vision be attributed to this dental procedure. Therefore I recommend you immediately get evaluated and have your intraocular pressure rechecked. All ER will have an instrument to do this (tonopen). If you do not feel safe to drive there due to bad vision have a friend or family member take you.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I was numbed good during procedure but I did feel a sharp pain when dentist was grinding and bolted my hand up for him to stop and he did for a minute and started in again.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 20 days ago.
Ok what you have mentioned sometimes happen when an area is only partially anesthetized. Your area of biggest concern as mentioned above is getting your eye pressure checked. If it's elevated and you do it can lead to permanent visual damage - please do not delay getting this evaluated.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 20 days ago.
This is the instrument they will use. If elevated you will be immediately started on medications and get a stat ophthalmology consultation.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 20 days ago.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.