Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

I have Sjorgrens Syndrome and have had a lot of work done to

Customer Question

I have Sjorgrens Syndrome and have had a lot of work done to my teeth and will have ongoing issues like I have a $5000.00 bridge done and the anchor teeth need work. So that means removing the old bride and replace it with another new one. Another $5000.00. I would love implants but I cant afford them. My question is am I better off getting dentures or continue the fight with my current teeth? I feel like the dentist I have seen want to continue with crowns, etc for the $$
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: no
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I already did
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I have Sjorgrens Syndrome and have had a lot of work done to my teeth and will have ongoing issues like I have a $5000.00 bridge done and the anchor teeth need work. So that means removing the old bride and replace it with another new one. Another $5000.00. I would love implants but I cant afford them. My question is am I better off getting dentures or continue the fight with my current teeth? I feel like the dentist I have seen want to continue with crowns, etc for the $$
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 7 months ago.

Well one thing to consider is that when you have complications like dry mouth from Sjorgrens Syndrom is that a denture is not going to be easier to wear. What I mean by that is, a dry mouth and dentures don't miss. The bacteria from our mouth will definitely accumulate more on the denture increasing complications of yeast or candida infections on the ridge, roof of mouth, tongue, etc. They also simply irritate the mouth more, more friction and less lubrication causes more spontaneous sores. So although your dentist probably does like get the money from the bridgework there are advantages to keep fixed teeth, rather than removable ones. Have you, or your dentist, talked about a salivary stimulant medication at all?