Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have recently had a partial root canal and was told the

Customer Question

I have recently had a partial root canal and was told the remaining root was calcified. A return to continue the root canal is scheduled. Can I leave this in this condition and what are the odds a problem would result in the future?
JA: When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: One week yesterday
JA: Is there anything else in your dental history you would like the dentist to know?
Customer: No
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Occasionally we find canals that are not able to be penetrated because of calcifications in the canal.For the most part,if the canal is calcified,there is unlikely any necrotic or dead tissue that remains in the canal that will cause any problems.If the X-ray shows no radiolucency at the tip of the root where this supposed canal is,chances are this tooth will be fine when the root canal is completed.The success rate of root canals with calcifications when done by an endodontist is just under 90%.I would proceed with finishing the root canal procedure and feel pretty confident that you will be fine.If you have an X-ray of this tooth that you can upload,I could give you some more specific information about this tooth.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Is there any other information that you need?