Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I recently had a root canal on to other number 13. Now the

Customer Question

I recently had a root canal on to other number 13. Now the dentist wants to put a crown over the root canal. Is this step necessary or even advised?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 29 days ago.

The reason that crowns are recommended for root canaled teeth is that these teeth no longer have a blood supply and they are brittle.It is difficult to predict when they will break but generally,the larger amount of filling in a tooth correlates with more propensity to break especially if the tooth has been root canaled.If the filling in the tooth is small,then the need for a crown may not be as important.It is a matter of stablity and the fact that the tooth is more brittle .What he is suggesting is a normal procedure especially if the filling is large.Crowning the tooth will allow you to keep the tooth indefinetly without worying about breakage.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you. You make a lot of sense.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 29 days ago.

You are welcome.When you get a chance,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 29 days ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 21 days ago.

Can you please leave a rating for your answer?.We get no credit for our time without it. Thanks