Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have pain in my gums and when I brush my teeth it bleeds

Customer Question

Hello, I have pain in my gums and when I brush my teeth it bleeds
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

When was the last time that you had your teeth cleaned in a dental office? Can you post a picture of the area that is bleeding?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Like 3 years
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Your gums are bleeding because of gingivitis.This is caused by a buildup of plaque on your teeth.Normally we see patients twice a year to have this material removed.You cannot get it off with a brush or by flossing.Once it is removed,the bleeding should stop and your mouth will feel better within 2 to 3 days.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

In the meantime,you can rinse with some 3% hydrogen peroxide diluted 1;1 or use some strong salt water to rinse with by placing a teaspoon of kosher salt in a half of a glass of very warm water.This will help keep the bacteria count down and give some relief.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Is there any other information that you need?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions,can you kindly leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Can you please leave a rating? We get no credit for our time without one.Thanks