Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have had reoccurring tooth problem and have had an

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: i have had reoccurring tooth problem and have had an assortment of antibiotics to kill the infection before I can get a root canal. I was unable to get to the dentist when the infection f
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: cleared and now the tooth is playing up again. I have some keflex antibiotics handy and want to know if this will work on a tooth abscess
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Seeing the dentist is so expensive. If keflex is ok for treating infection I will treat that first then go back to the dentist for root canal
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will Keflex Cephalexin capsules 500 mg antibiotics help with a tooth infection so then I can go back to the dentist for a root canal?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No swelling but from past experience expecting excruciating pain. Don't want to pay 150.00 just to get a script from a doctor or dentist if the antibiotics I have will clear up the infection.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

Keflex can be effective for tooth infections but the problem is that no antibiotic will cure a tooth infection.The dosage of the Keflex should be 500 mg every 6 hours.If you have been on Keflex for a long time or if this tooth has been infected for an extended period,this lessens the chance of the root canal therapy being effective.The problem is that the pulp of the tooth is the source of the infection and the antibiotics do not reach the pulp.The antibiotic will just keep the infection from spreading temporarily.If you cannot afford the entire cost of the root canal,at least have them open the tooth up to drain so that the infection does not build up in your face which could end up in a hospital visit.This will buy you a week or two and will lessen the chance of you have sever e facial swelling.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
I will take the antibiotic to reduce infection and go to the dentist the week after next. Now I know keflex can work on teeth infections my query is answered. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome.It is not the antibiotic of choice but it will work to keep the infection from spreading.Penicillin ,Amoxicillin or Clindamycin are better choices.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

When you get a chance ,Please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks