Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist
Experience:  OMS
94852287

Have taken amoxicillin for a tooth abscess had it root canal

Customer Question

Have taken amoxicillin for a tooth abscess had it root canal too on it. Done with med pain back dr trying the z pak next because I don't want my molar pulled. I'm very scared this has been going on for 3 weeks now.
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse? Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: The tooth needed a root canal. But there is an abscess down to the pulp of it. Did 2,000 mg of amox per day for 15 days. Felt so better finished meds now 2 days later the pain is back
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately what you have described requires either re treatment endodontics (possible apical surgery) or tooth extraction. Clearly the source of infection has not been fully eliminated. Continually taking antibiotics is not realistic and can put nearby teeth at risk if the infection progresses and causes bone loss.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.
I think you need updated imaging of the area (preferably 3 dimensional) and proceed from there. It is also possible a canal was missed as many molars have accessory canals.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.

If there is anything else I can answer for you please let me know. Also if you wouldn't mind taking a moment to rate me I would appreciate it as this is how I receive credit for my answers. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was given the z-pak to try again. Should I get a second opinion from an oral surgeon? I don't want the tooth extracted, aside having the tooth removed, what was the other procedure u mentioned can u explain it?
Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.
If you don't want the tooth extracted your next best option assuming no progress is made with your general dentist is to visit an endodontist. They can sometimes locate missed canals and also perform apical surgery to save a tooth. Apicoectomy is surgical removal of the tip of the root and associated infection. It's imperative before further treatment is done to get new imaging, assess for extra canals and rule out the possibility of a fracture. If the tooth is fractured or has extensive infection it must come out.