Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist
Experience:  OMS
94852287

I've had subtle pain on the right side of my gum and jaw

Customer Question

I've had subtle pain on the right side of my gum and jaw area. At night when I lie down to sleep I'm awaken by the extreme pain in the same area. It'll last about a1/2 hour then subside. I would take some Ibuprofen to relieve the pain. That does not seem to help any longer and the pain is intensifying the last couple of days. It doesn't appeare to be a tooth problem, but I'm not sure.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.
Hi any medical conditions you have? When was your last dental exam with X-rays?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 7 months ago
Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.
Firstly a good dental panoramic X-ray and dental exam will rule out tooth origin for this pain. Based on the way you describe it I believe there's is a good chance it is muscular in origin and related to clenching/grinding/stress. It is also possible but less likely the origin is your parotid salivary gland. Essentially you need a panoramic X-ray (one that shows whole dentition and jaw) and a clinical examination. If it's muscular pain initial treatment includes soft diet, nsaids and heating pad/ice as you have been doing. The fact that you have imitated some of that treatment with limited results is concern enough to suggest an in person clinical exam.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.
But since the pain in sudden and on/off a cracked tooth is also a very likely possibility.
Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.
Any swelling in this area or pain if you tap on an individual tooth?
Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.

This is how they will test for a cracked tooth. And this is the X-ray they may start with to evaluate the area.

Expert:  Dr. G replied 1 month ago.

If there is anything else I can answer for you please let me know. Also if you wouldn't mind taking a moment to leave me a rating this is how I receive credit for my answers