Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

What could be the one which is in inner cheeks? They are

Customer Question

What could be the one which is in inner cheeks? They are tiny kinda spots and is not going away. They are painless.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

These spots are known as Fordykes granules.They are essentially fat deposits and pose no real risk to your health. They are considered a normal variation of the the cheek epithelium.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Here is an article that will give you some details.http://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/fordyce-spots/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How sure are you about that? Isn't that Candida or Leukoplakia? Can that be treated by Antifungal Oral Cream? What may be the cause for that?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

That is not Candida or Leukoplakia.Fordyces granules are not a fungus infection so an anti fungal cream would be ineffective.There is no treatment for Fordyces granules because they are not pathological.They are just sebaceous or fatty glands that are close to the surface of the cheek epithelium.They require no treatment.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

I think that you may be scaring yourself by reading what is on the internet without the background to interpret what you are reading.These tiny bumps on the inside of your cheek are a normal variation of the cheek tissue.You have nothing to worry about.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

It is also possible that you may have irritated the area by cheek biting or sucking on the skin of the cheek while under stress.This will irritate the tiny glands under the skin and accentuate their appearance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My last question and Thank you so much. Have you ever seen the cases like this in your patients and did you know if anyone's gone by itself without treatment?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

I have seen cases like this many times.There is no treatment for these spots because they do not represent a disease process.Some people have them and some don't.If you notice that you suck on your cheeks or have a tendency to bite them,try to be conscious of when you do this and refrain.You may notice that these spots are not so noticeable after a week or two.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have noticed this a year ago
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

These are not a disease process.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Is there any other information that you need?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site. Thanks