Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have a lump on my cheek abutting my nose. My dentist

Customer Question

I have a lump on my cheek abutting my nose. My dentist extracted an "eye" tooth about a week earlier after which I experienced a lot of swelling and tenderness along the entire nasolacrimal. The tissue swelling went down but a large (dime-size) boney lump emerged. The dentist is very good and it was a painless extraction of a broken tooth.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: No breathing problems. I noticed the lump on the 9th of this month.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: What would be most helpful?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 8 months ago.

Hello there,

Following an extraction, it is not unusual to have swelling, or a "lump" adjacent to the extraction site of the tooth for 7-10 days. And the area you describe is the location of the the part of the socket where the (very long) canine ("Eye tooth") root is. But, normally, there is a gradual, but steady reduction in the size of the swelling or lump over the several days following the extraction. If you feel the lump has started to increase in size after initial reduction, it is worth calling the dentist for a follow-up consult. There are a few possible explanations for this, including a residual piece of tooth remaining, a small fractured piece of bone within the socket, or irregular bone recontouring as part of the healing process. But your dentist may want to take an xray to determine the exact cause (if the lump is increasing in size) and take simple measures to expedite healing.If there is no pain, redness or heat associated with the lump, infection is unlikely. But a call to your dentist explaining your symptoms would be wise.

Please let me know if you need additional information to answer your question.

Be well,

Dr Shernan