Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I'VE BEEN TO TWO DENTISTS ... 1 ORAL SURGEON IN MANHATTAN

Customer Question

I'VE BEEN TO TWO DENTISTS ... 1 ORAL SURGEON IN MANHATTAN BEACH ... AN ORAL MEDICINE DOCTOR AT UCLA ... GAVE ME PILOCARPINE HC ... I HAD ALL OF THE SIDE AFFECTS AND STOPPED IT IMMEDIATELY AFTER 7 DAYS ... AND ONE ORAL SURGEON AT UCLA WHO DID LITERALLY NOTHING RE MY ISSUES WITH THICK (BUT CLEAR) STRINGY SALIVA ... I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THIS AWFUL STUFF HELPPPPPPPP PLEASE!!!!
JA: OK. Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT RE INFORMATION?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 month ago.
Hi, thanks for posting your question. Having thick saliva is always problematic and is also difficult to assess the etiology.
The most common causes for thick saliva are: Dehydration, sinus infections and allergies.
Dry mouth, or Xerostomia, is also caused by medications. If you are taking many medications you should discuss the possible side effects with your physician.
If you have a deviated septum you will dehydrate the oral mucosa when you breathe. Because of this dehydrating your saliva will become thick as well.
So, you really need to stay hydrated.
Use a cool mist humidifier to moisten your bedroom air. This is very important when sleeping. Try to drink 8-12 glasses of water each day. Sucking on sugarless candies keeps the saliva flowing.
Caffeine does tend to dry you so limit the caffeine intake as well.
Avoid mouthwashes because that will also tend to dry the mouth.
Sticky foods like peanut butter should also be avoided.
Another possible cause is anxiety and stress related issues.
It could take 3-4 weeks to see a change in your saliva and salivary flow.
If you still have issues with this after altering your intake then I suggest you visit a dental school near you for a full assessment. They will be able to give you a full series of screening and diagnostic tests in order to determine exactly what is causing your saliva problem.
Sorry to say but diagnosing the cause is extremely difficult and many times no etiology is found but the problem seems to fix itself over time.
Hope this helps make some sense of your problem. If you need more information please ask. Thanks.