Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

I've been the area where my internal cheek meets my jaw

Customer Question

I've been the area where my internal cheek meets my jaw swell and parts of my throat as well after certain foods for about a month or so.
JA: How severe is this?
Customer: It gets noticeable but I can still chew and swallow -- it lasts about an hour
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I looked inside my mouth and my hard palate is white -- on the cheek it's lumpy and lighter in color. No lesions. The irritation was after I ate some nuts. For the rest of the day, nothing. My ear canals also itch
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 1 month ago.

So what particularly can I help you with, from the symptoms described it sounds like you have nut or other food allergy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think it's that. Because it's not just nuts. It's also been after vegetables and other foods. It feels like my mouth and throat are constantly irritated -- and I'm concerned that the bumps are white in color, like my hard palate which is unusual. My tonsils aren't swollen though. I have no lesions. No other symptoms. Just sensitivity around my cheek and throat.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the ear canal itching but I don't know if that's related

How long do the symptoms last after eating minutes, hours, days? Itching is usually a sign of histamine release due to some type of allergic response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The big swelling lasts about an hour or two. The sensitivity has been there, in some for or another, for a few weeks now.

Have you been prescribed or taken any new over the counter or prescription meds during this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I restarted sertraline a month or so ago but I had taken it before without incident.

Different dosage or anything with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No

I only ask, and this would have to be discussed with a physican or pharmacist rather than myself, but itching and rashes have been reported with that med. And although you've have no problems in the past, allergist or side effects can develop at any time. I have had a patient just today that has had reaction of swelling, itching, hives like after taking Tylenol and has not had problems for the last 60 years until now with the med. So it might be worth discussing this your dr.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks -- that's helpful. I'll bring it up.

No problem, I know it seems odd but allergies develop continually and seem to be becoming more prevalent later in life. Take Care

If there isn't anything else you want to ask, if you would please provide a rating so I can close our conversation, thanks.