Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner

Pain in gum between two teeth ...

Pain in gum between two teeth ...

Can you tell me a bit more about this pain in your gums, between two teeth? Did it rapidly occur? Does the gum show any color change or bump on it? And anything else which may be relevant?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi I have no bump or anything it's just when I put my flosser down between my two left rear teeth it is extremely sensitive and painful dentist took and X-ray and said there was no decay in the teeth
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It is actually in the gum it feels like ...

I've had soreness like you previously before as well. And why, I don't know. I've suspected that it was just some mild irritation/infection, as it seemed to go away after a week or so. Do you feel that it may be prudent if you continue flossing once a day, brushing 2 to 3 times a day, and rinsing and swishing several times a day, and given a week or so - see how it is doing? Hopefully it will be better, assuming you "likely" may well have what many of us get, a low grade infection in the gum area, that often will subside on it's own?

I say the above because you've already had an x-ray taken and your Dentist didn't see anything bad - correct?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
That is correct an X-ray of one of the teeth ...the worst pain is at the edge of the two rear teeth ...the edge facing
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The edge facing the other tooth in other words the bottom edges of the teeth facing each other
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Down slightly in gum

Have those edges (either one or both), ever previously had fillings placed in them?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Not the edges but the top of the tooth

I see.

Well typically, the first thing would be to get an exam and an x-ray - to see what is almost always needed and often seen wither with that x-ray or exam. But since you've already done this, it would be merely redundant to do so again so rapidly.

Assuming the gum is sore, but not too sore, can you perhaps just keep it cleaned well (which it sounds like you are doing), and perhaps give it a week(ish)? As I mentioned, I've had this same thing as you have a couple times, and it went away... That certainly doesn't FIX things today, but it may well be the best thing to do. What do you think?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok what should i swish with

Either water (warm generally is more easy for the person swishing, but it can be any temperature). Some suggest salt added. I'm not opposed to salty water - but not so sure it helps much, if any. So water is fine.

Some people like mouthwash (with no alcohol), and that's good too. The one thing I'd stay away from though if you use mouthwash, is those with alcohol, as the alcohol is not desirable for your gum area.

Again, I'm betting the high 90%plus, that your gum sensitivity will tend to go away in a short time. If, it should take a dive for the worse or not be gone in a week or 10 days, I'd then consider seeing your Dentist again for another look. But the odds are with you, that you can get this annoying "sore gum" thing to go away with your good home care! I hope this all makes sense...

Dr. Rampton

*Please don't hesitate to ask any follow up concerns - OK?

Please also, do rate my answer. All the best to you ( - :

I'd swish with either water or mouthwash (with no alcohol in it).

I should say here, that sometimes the best treatment, is sometimes something relatively simple, coupled with some healing time. Best wishes, and any further concerns, please let me know!