Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

Both my husband and I have a smooth kind of rubbery spot in

Both my husband and I have a smooth kind of rubbery spot in our mouths that has developed recently. Mine on the inside of my lip and his on the inside of the cheek. They are painless and even a little pain resistant. If I bite it I barely feel anything. If I purse my lips it wrinkles a bit. Not sure what to do about it.

Is there anyway you could take a picture and attach it to this discussion in order to give you a better answer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I could take a picture but it honestly doesnt look any different from the rest of my lip. The more I mess with it the rougher it gets so maybe there will be something to see soon

Well usually what we call these types of lesions are, traumatic fibromas. Essentially its an area of tissue in the lips or cheeks that are same color as surrounding tissue, but they form a little nodule from basically reoccurring trauma (biting it accidently is an example). Many people get these, my husband had one for a few months that was the size of a pea or so in his lip and drove him a little crazy accidently biting it. These can change size, but typically go away on there own. Sometimes they persist and for the annoyance factor people have them removed. But as it sounds this is likely what you are experiencing and holds no concern. If you noticed the lesion start to become red or white, or significantly grow in size than you'd want to have a dental examination of this area of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, just to verify these lesions would be smoothish but kind of rubbery? I actually never bite this part of my lip unless I'm doing it on purpose. I just bit it to test whether or not it was sensitive qnd I had practically no feeling in it. I've never had anything like it before and my husband developed the same thing around the same time which is part of my concern
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its about the size of a quarter, flush against my skin, no raised areas or nodules.

Correct these lesions are smoothish and rubbery. They typically appear in because of a trauma similar to biting lip, but that doesn't mean that it popped up from doing that or even remember doing it. Most people have no recollection, the fibroma just started to appear. I understand that concern. Again if you had a picture (even though you state its nothing to show) that may help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It would be the left side of the picture. I'm sorry if it's not very clear but maybe you will see something I didnt since I don't know what to look for

Are you or your husband a smoker?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I did for a few years in my teens but haven't for over a decade. Neither of us drink or smoke. Full disclosure, I recently tested positive for Hep B and have a history of cancer so anything unusual concerns me now.

I understand that and thanks for letting me know. I was asking more because some individuals get lesions like this when they have just quit smoking. Now that you submitted the picture I do not believe that this is fibroma, too large and flat. It may be a stomatitis. This is basically an inflammation that could be caused by a variety of things. It could be as innocent as you had something with cinnamon, changed toothpaste, virtually a ton of things. Although that doesn't help narrow it down, I'm not concerned after viewing the type of lesion that it is. I would recommend at this point that if the lesion doesn't resolve on you or your husband in the next 2-3 weeks you should have it seen by dentist so it can be measured and tracked for size changes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks so much!

Take care.

If there isn't anything else you want to ask, if you would please provide a rating so I can close our conversation, thanks.