Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand

I am a 71 year old woman & I have a tooth where the gum has

Customer Question

I am a 71 year old woman & I have a tooth where the gum has receded quite a bit & my husband said the dentist will pull the tooth. Is there any other options?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No, there is no swelling and I visit the dentist regularly.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I go to the dentist regularly and my teeth are in very good condition! i don't think I have any cavities. I just wanted to know if this tooth will have to be pulled?
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 3 days ago.

Gum recession doesn't mean that the tooth will have to be pulled (and if you are going to the dentist regularly he/she would have already discussed if the tooth was unhealthy periodontally (gum health) and maybe had a questionable or poor prognosis. Teeth can have a lot of recession on one surface, but as along as the bone around the tooth remains adequate and you don't have any trouble with keeping it clean brushing/flossing it can be like that for long time maybe even indefinitely. If you could submit a picture of the area I could give you more accurate outlook based soley on recession. The real determinant of needing to remove a tooth that is asymptomatic would be to test its mobility (how much its wiggles). If its feeling firm or moves very minimally, you have more affirmation that the tooth can stay. Hopefully that helps.