Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.

What can I do about fillings causing pressure on the nerves

Customer Question

What can I do about fillings causing pressure on the nerves it hurts
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 11 days ago.

Can you give me a little more information? Are you speaking of fillings that were just placed recently? Do you have pain to hot ,cold or biting pressure? Did you have pain before the fillings were placed? Do you have any swelling?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 11 days ago.

I am on my way to work and will be away from the computer for a bit.I will check back for your response when I get back online a little later.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm always hurting the fillings are several months old
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can you prescribe something better than tramadol or codein
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Some swelling
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 11 days ago.

If there is swelling,there is an infection and you will need to be placed on an antibiotic.I am sorry , but we are not allowed to actually treat or prescribe medication online.You will need to get back to your dentist or call him to prescribe an antibiotic and pain medicine.Most dentists have a 24 hour emergency number.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What can I do about the pressure from the fillings causing pressure on the nerves
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 11 days ago.

The fillings are not causing the pressure.The pressure is coming from the tooth being pushed up in the socket by the fluid accumulating under the tooth.This is making the opposing tooth hit the infected tooth prematurely.This causes the ligament around the tooth to be inflamed and that is causing your pain.The filling itself is not putting any pressure on the nerve.The antibiotic will help this but the tooth in question that is causing the swelling either needs to be root canaled or extracted.