Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

Have you ever heard of someone using super glue as denture

Customer Question

have you ever heard of someone using super glue as denture adhesive?
JA: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?
Customer: about the idea of using it?
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: have dentures upper and lower and was wondering if I could use super glue on the lowers for better hold
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 month ago.

Well... no I have not. Super glue is cyanoacrylic acid, and is quite caustic to the gums. I'd presume that when the dentures are removed, that the super glue would tear and rip the gum & surrounding tissue. I'd expect some chemical burning also.

Here what I would recommend: Telling the person about fixodent. There are other brands that also work similarly, but essentially, fixodent is made to adhere dentures to the gum tissue. For MOST people, it works fairly well. Let's take this one step further though, and presume this person has tried fixodent and not gotten the results desired/wanted. Then I'd recommend that they get their denture relined. Relining should make the denture fit much better, sometimes where no fixodent would even be needed. I hope this helps you with your good question!

Dr. Rampton

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
am using Fixodent on upper an lower with little help to the lowers. lasts maybe 8-9 hours and then I have to reapply

Have you considered having them relined?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
lol if I could talk normally, I'd would have gone to a dentist office
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had them realigned
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
any ideal on cost of getting lowers snap in type

When you put more fixodent in, are you then, "good to go" for a few hours then, with regard to speaking and communicating, eating, etc?

If you've had them relined, and it's been more than a year or two, you may benefit from a second relind.

______________________________

With regard to snap in type. Prices vary considerably, contingent on which Dentist, which state you live, etc., I spoke recently with a gentleman who had his lower done with 4 implants and new snap in denture, for about $6,000. But it may be more or less where you go.

Additionally, if you live near a Dental School, they will be about half the price. Worth checking out.

And, it never hurts to ask for any Senior discounts, Military discounts, cash discount, or discounts for just about anything you can think of. Most Dentists will allow discounts for about anything - you just need to remember to ask, after they've given the final price (that's when I'd ask).

Does the above help? Might I be able to assist any further? I'd be happy to help...

Dr. Rampton

Well, I do hope the above helps you.

Please "do" rate my answer, if you would - OK?

Dr. Rampton

*Please don't hesitate to ask any further concerns or questions... much appreciated!

Still there?

I wanted to make sure you got your questions addressed?

How are the gums? Still contemplating possibly getting lower implants with retention denture?

Let me know if I can further be of assistance - OK?

How did the super glue situation end up? Hopefully for the better!

Dr. Rampton