Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand

I just had a filling replaced. It is one of my rear upper

Customer Question

I just had a filling replaced. It is one of my rear upper molars on the left side. I don't think the dentist got it even because there's a jagged edge which hangs down so that when I bite down with nothing in my mouth I feel some uncomfortable pressure In that area. Please advise me.
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: I don't think there's any swelling. There's some intermittent mild pain but I just had the procedure done today.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Basically when I bite down with nothing in my mouth it feels like I'm biting down on something in the area of the filling replacement.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 8 days ago.

What you are experiencing is a very common occurrence after having a filling placed. Likely the filling itself, or some leftover bonding material are creating an interference with your bite. What most people call this is simply a "high filling" . The reason this happens sometimes (not always) is because when the area is numb and the bite is checked, you likely aren't biting the same way you normally would when you can feel your teeth coming together. This means you are going to have to go back to your dentist to have the filling adjusted to match your bite. I would do this within a day or two because as you continue to chew with the tooth it will continue to sprain the periodontal ligament (small ligament that is the shock absorber for the root of the tooth) and soreness can increase and become quite painful. You won't have to have any anesthetic (numbing) to have a quick adjustment. Takes only a few minutes. Hopefully that answers your question.