Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

I've been sick and taking a lot of cold medicine. Now the

Customer Question

I've been sick and taking a lot of cold medicine. Now the roof of my mouth is raw and the gum around some of my teeth hurt. I've been brushing my teeth 4 or 5 times a day to get rid of it but it won't go away.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 1 month ago.

It might help actually to brush less. Likely the drainage and drying in the back of your throat is was is making everything so raw and traditional tooth paste is probably continuing that irritation to the mucousal surface. I'd recommend instead swishing with salt water rinses, in addition to a biotene rinse aid that will help keep things moist.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much

No problem, take care and if you need anything else answered please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also the 4 teeth between my canines on the bottom have been really sensitive. After I brush even more so but mainly at night.
These 4 teeth on the bottom typically develop a lot of calculus (tarter) because they are closely in approximation with sublingual glands that express saliva containing minerals. So on the tongue side of those teeth you may have some deposit that is causing the sensitivity. If it's been over 6 months you should schedule a dental cleaning to get this removed. It will not be removed by brushing alone.