Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand

I have a bump all the way in the back of my lower right gum.

Customer Question

I have a white bump all the way in the back of my lower right gum. I don't have a tooth there because my wisdom tooth was removed years ago. What could it be?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 19 days ago.

Is there any way that you could take a picture of this area in order to give you a more precise answer? Is the bump firm, soft, movable, on the gum towards the cheek or more by the tongue? How long have you noticed the bump being there?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It's soft and movable and more by the cheek.

Could you also estimate a size? Like is in the size of a pea, a pinpoint, or does the size fluctuate?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It is smaller then a pea.

Well it could be a couple of things. One it could be scar tissue that appears white and keratinized (basically like a callous) from where your wisdom tooth used to be. When wisdom teeth are removed on the bottom, sometimes the bone in that area is removed and normally we are suppose to have an extra pad of tissue in that area (called the retromolar pad). So if could be you've developed a callous on the retromolar pad. This is the most likely answer. It also could be a fistula (gum boil) that is from an infection from the molar that is present (2nd lower molar). When a tooth has an infection it often looks for a place to drain and that can form a pimple type of lesion in the vicinity of the tooth. So without doing a clinical exam, that is the best answer I can give. If you are concerned that this is an infection or pre-cancerous spot (very unlikely) I would go to your dentist an have a periapical xray taken of the area. Does that help answer your question?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It also will go away and then come back sometimes.

With that additional info it still could be either a tooth infection (cause that can come and go) or the hyperkeratosis of the retromolar pad (callous).

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank tou

No problem, also just to reassure you since it is something that comes and goes, it is extremely unlikely to be of cancerous origin. Take Care