How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Hegland Your Own Question
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Dr. Hegland is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My gums have been feeling inflammed and bothersome for quite

Customer Question

Hello. My gums have been feeling inflammed and bothersome for quite some time. My dentist had mentioned my gums are receding a little bit sooner for my age, but it's not serious. However, the gum irritation feeling is bothersome and I feel like there's always excess saliva around my gum area. As such, he had prescribed chlorhexidine gluconate, which helps a little bit. But to my understanding I shouldn't be using that much or consistently over a long period of time which I have been doing.With that said, a family friend had mentioned perhaps using hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash to help treat my gums. Would you recommend this? And if so, what is the best way to safely take it?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 7 months ago.

So no I would not recommend a hydrogen peroxide rinse an the reason for that is its cytotoxic (kills all cells- your healthy ones and bacteria). Sometimes older dental practitioners recommend this but it is not a common practice currently. Excess saliva is actually a good thing in regards ***** ***** your oral health so that isn't a huge concern. Receeding gums could be caused by grinding teeth (bruxism), brushing too hard, or using a toothpaste that is too abrasive, and of course recession can be caused by gingivitis or periodontal disease. If you are seeing your dentist regularly, you are hopefully in good dental health however. If your gingival irritation is generalized everywhere you may want to try a different toothpaste, possibly even an organic type toothpaste that doesn't have as many preservatives. If its just a single site that is irritated, you may want to get a second opinion just to make sure your dentist hasn't missed something. Hopefully that makes sense.

Related Dental Questions