Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.

Last monday i had a lower molar removed, it was previously

Customer Question

last monday i had a lower molar removed, it was previously root canaled and crowned about 4 years ago, it fractured got infected and had to be removed, my dentist gave me about 10 needles, One of the needles was very painful, anyway its been 5 days and i am still living on advil, the pain is felt from lower jaw straight to my ear, I went back to dentist after 3 days and he said he didnt see a dry socket, my question is how long can this pain last, i already took of 3 days of work
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: this is from the needle
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: like what?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
i'm panicking that this could be permanent nerve damage
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 24 days ago.

Hello and thank you for asking. Sorry you are having so much pain but this is not unusual with adult molar extractions.

Extracting a molar can cause some local trauma just from the procedure. The lower jaw has denser bone than the maxilla for one thing (and in adults it is less malleable). Bone has to be pried away from the tooth so to speak, to allow the root to be extracted. Sometimes even cutting some of the bone away is necessary. So, the procedure alone can cause enough trauma to cause pain for a number of days.

Secondly. Given the fact that you needed 10 needles (which seems unusual), a nerve may have been nicked or blood vessel nicked that caused a leak (hemotoma or bruise) during an injection that is causing residual pain. Nerve pain can also be caused by swelling which may compress an area.

All of the above usually resolve in a few days but can take longer.

If it is due to any of the things I mentioned you can try the following:

1. Rinse with warm salt water (2 tsp salt in 6 oz warm water) this will reduce bacteria and soothe the area.

2. If you are still swollen, use an ice pack ( this is best done immediately but may still provide some relief).

3. Drinking warm tea also helps soothe.

If it is from the needle, the discomfort will last somewhat longer, even a few weeks, but it should ease along the way.

Try alternating Advil with motrin to reduce swelling and help with the pain.

I hope this helps. Please ask more if I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
this could be a normal response? ok it also stills feels numb on my jawbone just below the tooth, is this possible as well?
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 24 days ago.

It is normal but on the more difficult outcome side. The numbness is directly due to the procedure and the swelling or nicking the nerve which traverses under the tooth all along the jaw. That numbness should go away week but can go on for a few weeks or more. Try the therapies I suggested and see if they help.