Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

Big question. I have two back molars that have had root

Customer Question

Hi. Big question. I have two back molars that have had root canals and are crowned. I was told one of the crowns does not have very much bone to adhere to. I can feel one crown move, and it does have sensations sometimes - such as from vibrations.
JA: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?
Customer: Yes, and apparently my gums were inflamed, so I used some heavy duty antibacterial wash. til they improved. My gums normally are just fine. Now I notice a black residue at the base of these crowns, and the gums are a little in flamed again. the sensations are back. I just want to know if it is more than just a gum inflammation problem. Is there an infection going on? or is chronic inflammation to the gums really that good either. I am just wondering if it would be better to have these teeth removed? I just would like some kind of explanation as to what process is going on. Thank, GW
JA: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: like what?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

The crowns themselves do not adhere to the bone,they are cemented to the teeth,The roots of the teeth are anchored in the bone.To give you an accurate answer as to what is going on and to advise keeping or extracting these teeth would depend heavily on what is seen on X-ray.Have you had these teeth prayed recently or do you have current X-rays to upload?Have you ever been told that you have periodontal disease? Are they teeth mobile?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no history of gum disease. why would I get the gum inflammation only on these two teeth?
why do I have sensation in the gums here when both teeth have had root canals?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no thanks. please cancel this free trial.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

The teeth are innervated by their own nerves.Once the nerve of the tooth is dead or removed,the tooth has no more sensation.The gums are innervated by a different set of nerves independent of the tooth nerve.Gum pain is normally a dull ache as opposed to a sharp pain that we normally see with teeth.You can have root canaled teeth with gum inflammation and still have pain but the pain is coming from the gum and not the tooth.You may have gotten something jammed between the teeth causing the gum inflammation.Without seeing an X-ray of the area,I can only speculate.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 3 months ago.

I am not sure what you are talking about. I did not offer any free trial.

Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 3 months ago.

Hi.

So after reading above:

If the two teeth have had root canals, then the "main" nerve is gone, and the tooth ITSELF has no nerve sensation, true. However, it can & does often feel as if the tooth may still have sensation/pain/discomfort sometimes. The reason being that the tooth is embedded in the bone. And the bone and the tissue between the bone and the tooth roots (periodontal ligament) has nerves and feelings still. So does the surrounding gum tissue. So, it's a bit of a misnomer to tell you, just because you've had a root canal or two that you feel nothing. True, the main nerve is gone. However, if a tooth or crown is loose, it often means the roots are loose a bit, and hence the periodontal ligament and surrounding gums would STILL have feelings! If there were no looseness, you'd likely have no feeling of pain though. Does that make sense?

As for what should you do? Keep everything clean, as it sounds like you are trying to. Brushing flossing rinsing. You may benefit a lot from seeing a Dental Hygienist who can also help you with making the pain and sensitivity go away, especially in reference to the gums. The Hygienis cleaning your teeth and you taking care of them may be all you need, and your tooth may even tighten up considerably, making perhaps no other needs or wants. As to will you need an extraction? Hopefully not! But with an x-ray and the Dentist's evaluation, you may/may not need anything further. Time and a cleaning and examination with your Hygienist is what I'd recommend. Then see what your Dentist thinks with the x-ray, if anything further is needed or not. I hope this helps you.

Dr. Rampton

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.

Oh, you are very welcome. I hope this helps you ...