Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have always had bad bad teeth.... Over the past few months

Customer Question

I have always had bad bad teeth.... Over the past few months I have had the Iv antibiotics twice due to my dentist saying it was many abscesses and infection that could become life threatening if not treated .... Went from I the hospital began the Iv antibiotics and symptom control but within 24-30 hrs they were like you don't need antibiotics yes, you need all your teeth pulled and the chronic abscesses could make you I'll but to basically buck up and deal!!! My dentist once again said it was bad and yes life threatening seeing how the abscesses and infection had gotten into some bone .... I felt completely in the middle .... I am petrified of the dentist and said if I need work done it needs to be under sedation.... Add to the fact that I do not have good vein access at all.... I've had to have central lines put in many times when I e needed surgery, during my pregnancies, ect. So, now I sit with one saying you can't be given sedation .... Sorry, no way in heck I'm going through over 20+ extractions , many are broke off and the remaining is at and below the gum line so those several teeth would have to be cut and dug out as well...... Now within the last 24 hrs I have gotten the worst of any of my tooth/teeth flat ups.... Swelling, gums full of blood and pus, at least 60-70% of the tooth is pure black and you can see the pulp...... I am crying so hard from the pain, it is other wordly .... I would gladly go thru natural childbirth again or my knee replacement 100 honest truth!!!! If I go back to my dentist he's either gonna say you have to go back ASAP to the hospital for Iv antibiotics and the hospital will bitch and argue and will not put in a central line so no antibiotics or symptom control ..... Or he will say ok, I can't get a line in you for sedation and I will give you laughing gas ( had it with my deliveries..... Did/does nothing) and give you many shots of numbing med..... Ummmmm, they have sedation dentistry for people like me! Who are scared ( and I'm not a wuss, I can have a central line put in, a knee replacement, natural delivery of twins, a spine tap without making a peep. ! This no way I know it expect now because I am I SO much pain that I can't talk, swallow, even drink without horrendous pain because of how your tongue automatically pushed against certain teeth.... That light touch hurts so bad it truly makes me want to vomit and scream..... I'm trying not to cry because the pressure just makes it even worse if that's possible! I never ever thought this type of pain would literally bring me to my knees!!!! To show you just how bad it is I have a photos mu hubby just took to show you.... I just don't know how to send them.....you can see the teeth affected and the really bad one as its all black and swollen and pushed out of place from the fluid and I maybe infection guessing.....I am truly in SO much pain I feel like I'm gonna lose my mind .... I have pain pills at home here and they are not touching it at all!!!!!!!!!! I seriously want to cut my head off to make the constant pain in my teeth and bone to stop!!!!!! I've tried garlic, onion, cloves, vanilla extract..... Cuz I'm that desperate..... Nothing...... Please help
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just curious been wIting much longer than 30 mins.... More like close to 2 hrs..... Am I going to get an answer or is this ( please don't take offense here please) but am starting to wonder and believe I wouldn't be asking and paying hard earned money if I was not beyond miserable and truly unable to stop crying because of the pain....
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Can I ask first if any treatment has been done after you were told to have the extractions done in the past? Do you have any medical problems that have caused the need for central line placement?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Was it ever explained to you that antibiotics cannot cure a tooth infection?Almost all oral surgeons have training in anesthesiology so that they can sedate you in the office or provide a general anesthetic to do the extractions.They all have hospital priviledges in the hospital and can admit you if you have any serious medical problems that would prevent you from having the procedure done in the office.If you have been placed on antibiotics on several occasions,there is a good possibility that the bacteria have become resistant to the antibiotic.We generally start with oral antibiotics and this works in 99% of the population.I am unsure why you were given IV antibiotics if the oral route is quite effective.If money is an issue,have you thought about doing the extractions a quadrant at a time to lessen the stress and still get the job done.Please give me some insight into your history here so I can direct you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was started on Oral antibiotics and at first they seemed to help then very quickly the bottom fell out..... So my dentist told me after doing a good exam and three sets of X-rays that I had both acute and chronic abscesses and infections that in his mind was life threatening and sent me to a merat by hospital where they refused to put in a ij and forced a picc in that didn't work and after 2 doses of antibiotics they said that by the X-rays they saw that yes all my teeth needed to be removed, I had abscesses but chronic not acute, that I did not need antibiotics even though I had a fever and elevated white count and was howling in pain like some idiot which they told me it could not hurt that bad....... It was just a minor toothache....... So, left there got put on oral antibiotics because the darn hospital did not follow orders..... Four days into them I started swelling up ( my whole face) and away we went again with this mess..... My dentist sent me to HCMC because they are the only hospital that has oral surgeons on call and could not only do the antibiotics but take me to the or and have everything removed in my me or two s asking.... But, you guessed it once again was told didn't need antibiotics, that to go to the or they were backed up until next Feb or March and that I didn't need to be sedated.... HA! I have never ever had good veins ever so I've almost always needed central lines....... As far as being able to be sedated at any oral surgeons office, first I'd have to find the miracle worker to even get one in me in the office..... My dentist right now seems to think that with all the infection it's too big a risk which makes no sense since I e been put out for upper and lower GI's, ect. And to find an oral surgeon that would bring me into the hospital to do any of this????? I e been in twice and nothing happened accept they told me I was fine and that abscesses and infections in your teeth do not hurt worse than natural childbirth..... I beg to differ as I sit her blinking back tears..... It's all turned into a huge cluster you know what..... and I'm sitting up for going on 48 hrs not knowing what to do cuz there is no way I'm n heck that anyone is gonna get me in a chair in medicated and try cutting, digging, pulling, cleaning out areas that are so sensitive that just barely moving my tongue against the affected teeth makes me nauseous
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

The bottom line is that the teeth are causing your problem and they need to be removed.Once that happens,you will not have to deal with the problem any more.I see patients with similar problems every day.I do not know where you live but most areas have an oral surgeon available to do extractions.I have never known an oral surgeon that has refused to do extractions.From your description,it seems like these teeth have needed to be extracted for years but no treatment has ever been done.There is a piece to the puzzle here that is missing.You need your teeth extracted.There are oral surgeons everywhere as well as general dentists who can do the extractions.I am confused why no treatment has been done.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

If you give me the largest city near you and the state you are in,I can refer you to an oral surgeon with anesthesia training that can either do the extractions in the office or admit you to the hospital for the extractions.You have not mentioned any medical problems that would prevent your treatment being done in an office.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

If the problem lies in your reluctance to get the treatment done,there is little I can do but reassure you that we do this type of work painlessly for patients on a daily basis and I cannot understand why no one has been able to treat you.We cannot force you to have the work done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dr Katz the problem lies where you have a woman who does not have good vein access at all andpeople do not want to put in a central line to do that because of risks ect. And since I do not have good vein access that is what I need which means more than likely being admitted to have it done but like I said the two times I was in and one time it was at HCMC the only place that had oral/maxi facial surgeons on staff that could take someone to the or and give them antibiotics and symptom control i.e. Fever, pain, nausesa meds but nope was told they were backed up into next year! And that even thou I had over 9 abscesses and infection and they needed to come on it couldn't hurt that bad and I could wait OR go and be a big girl and have it all done awake, freaked out, in a lot of pain, and with huge amounts or numbing shots....... Can't do that......,I wont make it through that if I am sitting here crying like an idiot cause it hurts so bad...., that is where the delay is because I can't find anyone to help me do it the humane way and believe what I am saying..... I mean my god I am just being honest right now if I knew how to send you a coupe pictures of how bad it is I think you would be in shock, and I'm not saying that for some dramatic affect cuz it's embarrassing and it is the worst pain I have ever felt! I thought Minnesota nice was far and wide....... Sad when you are begging someone to help you do it the way you would want your daughter, wife, mom taken care of you know?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

I am an anesthesiologist and a dentist.I have never had a patient in the past 37 years that I have not been able to find a vein.Even in the most crowded cities,the longest wait time for a case like yours would be a month not six months.You are at a point where you have put off the extractions for years.Things did not just happen overnight that put you in this position.You can only drive a car with 3 wheels for a limited amount of time.Let me know the largest city near you and I will give you some names of oral surgeons in your area where you can get treatment.It will be your choice at that point to go or not to go.I cannot give you help if you refuse to take it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like I said the problem lies with that in an office setting that there is no one that will get a line in me to sedate me..... Secondly I cannot make a doctor put a central line in me to do it.... Meaning putting me on the hospital ect to do it .... For Petes sake if I could have had it done when I was in HCMC it would be all done but noooooo, refused to put a line in, refused to give antibiotics and refused to agree to sedate me in their teaching clinic if by the grace of God someone would be able to find one ( trust me it's less than 5% of the time it ever happens and they usually blow) plus they told me I could wait till Feb or March or have it all done via dozens of shots.......I am seriously in so much pain I don't know what to do! Can you please tell me can 10+ abscesses and infection and decay cause THIS much pain?????? I've tried pain pills, garlic, cloves, salt water, vanilla extract and can't get one smidge of relief!!!!! I can't lay back, my neck is spasming, my ear canals hurt like I have ear infections, and my head is killing me now too!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Minnesota...... Minneapolis is about*****downtown live in Bloomington
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

One abcess can cause that much pain. You need to understand that if you have an infection in your tooth,the tooth needs to be removed.It will not get better until the tooth is gone.The longer that you put off treatment,the worse it will get.No one with any training would have told you that you could wait until February or March to have the teeth extracted.That is just misinformation.Standby,I will find an oral surgeon in Minneapolis.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Here is a group with a large staff with anesthesia experience that can help you.http://www.omscmn.com. Call them,make an appointment and tell them that it is an emergency.I will assure you that they will not make you wait until March to be treated.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Please do not put off having treatment done any longer.Although abscessed teeth rarely become systemic infections,they could wind you up in the hospital if you delay treatment.If you have no funds,your state has emergency funds available to provide emergency treatment if you can show that your income is below a certain level.If you would like to come to Maryland,I can assure you that you can get a speedy appointment and I can find your vein.If you have no further questions,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Have you had any luck getting an appointment?