Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I had an implant done three years ago ago and the implant

Customer Question

I had an implant done three years ago ago and the implant developed a slight crack and the screw came loose . I went to my regular dentist and he showed me the x ray of the hairline crack in the implant. the other dentist said my implant was ok and just put a new screw and and an abu?tment and new crown and told me thats all i need. Is the dentist cheating me by not replacing the implant? Or is this considered standard procedure. ? What are my recourses with the dentist. He already put a tempory crown and wants to put the replacement in the implant is under his warranty?
JA: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?
Customer: My regular dentist says i should argue with him about it or contact american dental association. But i didn't get any response from that organization as it does not deal with complaints like that
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: ok the tooth is top just left of my front teeth
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: I dont have pain but worried that the crack may get worse and not hold for long
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The dentist who did the implant and fixed the screw and abutment and crown wants me to come in next week to put the permanent crown in . Should i let him complete it or demand he redo the implant that is under warranty? I can be reached by email as message phone does not work properly. My cell phone is 5599(###) ###-####but i can't receive the message right now as i am out of the service area.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

It would be extremely unlikely that there was actually a crack in the implant itself.Is it possible that you can post the X-ray of this implant so that I can confirm that for you.?Without that confirmation ,further discussion would be useless.I have to say in my 37 years of practice,I have never seen an implant actually crack.Do you have any pain or swelling?Screws can come loose on implants without there being a crack in them.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Are you still there?