Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I had a tooth extracted two days ago due to a toothache.

Customer Question

I had a tooth extracted two days ago due to a toothache. Since the extraction, I have been unable to sleep as I have had a constant ache that can only be temporarily stopped by cold water. 3-4 minutes later it starts again. My dentist prescribed me antibiotics today, and has told me they should start working in the next 24-48 hours. What I want to know is if the right diagnosis has been made here.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 2 months ago.

Well if is difficult to determine without more information. I would need to know which tooth you had extracted, if you have additional teeth that may need treatment, what type of extraction it was if it was a simple (regular) or surgical. Also, more info on symptoms prior to tooth extraction, and since (pain same, slightly better, worse, ache, radiating, etc).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is the Maxillary first premolar that was extracted. It was a simple extraction. I also have a cavity two teeth down. Prior to extraction, the toothache was manageable and I could sleep. However since the pain has gotten so bad that I need to use cold water every 3-5 minutes just to calm it down. Because of this I haven't had any sleep for 2 days.

Ok, so the cavity that is two teeth away is it more posterior? Like a molar on the maxillary arch? Because the type of symptoms you are having don't correlate well with post-op healing from an extraction. The type of pain you seem to be referring to is more active nerve pain, which may be from another tooth or the one that has a deep cavity. It would also be too soon to have developed a painful dry socket, so that likely isn't the issue unless you are a smoker. Was the premolar extracted because it wasn't restorable? it need a root canal to save it? what was the diagnosis for the extracted tooth?