Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran

I've been experiencing complications from my crown. Went for

Customer Question

I've been experiencing complications from my crown. Went for second opinion and dr found a white shadow near the tooth/gums. He ordered a Cr scan. What could it be? Worse case scenario...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks for posting your question today.

What complications are you experiencing with your crown? Is it a new crown?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are 2 crowns next to each other. The one is many years old. The one crown is new since April since the first attempt to this crown did not "take". I had a crown lengthening procedure and still experiencing discomfort (unable to eat on that side). I believe I need a root canal but dentist is also worried about white shadow
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ct scan is what concerns me.

Thanks for the added information. Crown lengthening procedures may uncover root surfaces which may increase your sensitivity to temperature. Most of these sensitivities will resolve on their own over time and you can try some toothpastes formulated specifically for sensitive teeth. Here are a couple of popular toothpastes:

Sensodyne or Colgate's Durophat or

Sensodyne True White- low abrasive whitening and sensitivity care at the same time:

The CT scan is something that dentists are using now to be able to get a more definitive view of size and extent of anything that is of concern. Routine Xrays are only 2 dimensional which is why CT scans are becoming more popular in dentistry. The white shadow on your Xray is just a more calcified area of bone which is why it is white (radiopaque) on an Xray. Oral cancers appear as dark shadows and not white so you really do not need to be concerned. These white areas on Xrays are more prevalent on the lower jaw and less present on the upper jaw. So no need to worry about the CT scan because your dentist just wants to be thorough with the diagnosis. My guess is that no treatment will be recommended. Hope all this makes sense to you. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was on the upper and the dentist did ask if I had sinus problems. Does this change anything

No it does not because white on an Xray just indicates denser bone and not cancer. The denser the bone the whiter the appearance. Black shadows are the ones that are problematic not white areas like condensing osteitis which is an inflammatory process that intensifies the density of the bone and normally requires no treatment.

Hi, just following up to see if your need more information.

Are you still there?