Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

I just had an upper plate that was supposed to be more

Customer Question

I just had an upper plate that was supposed to be more "stable" with the insertion of "screws". When putting in one of them the Dentist perforated my sinus cavity (confirmed by CT Scan). I have had a severe headache and constant need to sneeze since the moment this occurred. The Dentist has taken responsibility (short of calling it his "fault") and says he'll repair it however he needs too. My obvious concern is the potential long-term consequences and WHAT IS the best way to resolve this. I have Lupus and that is also a concern......?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: Three days and yes. I do have shortness of breath. That too was almost immediate.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I had an upper plate that was ill fitting and unattractive. I saw a new Dentist who fitted me with a new upper to be held in place by "screw-like" instruments. Initially he was going to put in 2. When he drilled one of the holes, then screwed in the "screws" he punctured the sinus cavity. It caused intense, immediate pain. The original injury was 3 days ago. Yesterday he remained very concerned and sent me for a CT Scan which showed that the screw has perforated the maxillary sinus canal 3-4 mm.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have put in my credit card info. It says I already have an account. I feel I'm being ripped off and just prefer you to refund my money.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 2 months ago.

Well outside of the long term consequences, because that is hard to determine, there are a couple things at this time that are important and need to be addressed. First of all, any time a sinus exposure happens whether it was by an implant or a tooth extraction the area needs to be closed to the oral environment and you should be on an antibiotic regime. That is typical protocol with this type of complication. The other thing that needs to be addressed is if this implant is going to be removed or your dentist is going to "wait and see" to determine if it osseo integrates and should stay in place. My advice to you is, you should see a oral surgeon for evaluation and not just your dentist. Does this make sense?