Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand

My 13 year old son ( who has always been late with teeth )

Customer Question

My 13 year old son ( who has always been late with teeth ) just came home from school and said I think I lost half of my tooth. Yep 1/2 of his last upper molar ( 2nd molar) is gone. I have saved all of his baby teeth and we do not have these as coming out - do I need to be concerned? Is the perm tooth pushing through?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 1 month ago.

My concern is the entire tooth out, or only part of it? Also when you state its half of his upper last molar, do you mean it's the last tooth in his arch? Basically I need to know how many teeth he has on the arch. If it's possible to submit a picture or two that'd be the easiest way for me to evaluate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1/2 is still in his mouth it is not loose he currently has seven teeth on each side this is including his front tooth he is missing his incisors on both sides. This is the very last tooth on the left side . As you can see in the one picture he has a little red dangly thing hanging down there is no blood just what I think is tissue

Ok, so I'm glad you were able to submit pictures that always makes things easier. Does he have the piece that actually fell out or broke away? I ask because that is the 2nd molar up there and that is a permanent tooth. It should not be coming out. I can see that there is a piece of tissue (operculum) that is covering and that is normal when a new tooth is erupting. So that tooth could just be coming in and only part can be seen (I can't tell on there is actually break away from that tooth). However, if he does know that a piece broke away from that tooth, then he needs to be seen by a dentist as soon as you can schedule to determine if there was early decay on that tooth, or it developed incorrectly and what can be done. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this make sense he has a full tooth on the other side which makes me believe this may be his permanent tooth then. I do not recall him losing these and I only have one set of molars that we saved I will get into a dentist ASAP thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Forgot to answer your question no we do not have the other piece he was eating when that happened

Ok, yeah sometimes when that piece of tissue (operculum) sits on erupting tooth-especially teeth that come in slow, a cavity can develop underneath that tissue and could have cause the fracture. However that tooth could be not calcified properly (didn't develop correctly) and was weak and fractured because of that. The important part would be to have it x-rayed (Periapical and bitewing xray) to determine the extent of break, health of the nerve of tooth, and what can be done. Is there anything else I can explain or recommend for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No very helpful thank you

No problem, take care. Dr. Hegland