Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

My 17 yr old daughter went to our local dentist yesterday

Customer Question

My 17 yr old daughter went to our local dentist yesterday afternoon for pain in her gums by a wisdom tooth. He tried to get her an emergency wisdom tooth removal but none were available out if town until Thursday afternoon. She is in extreme pain, what can I do/give her to ease the pain. He put her on an antibiotic 4x daily but gave her no pain medicine relief.
JA: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?
Customer: Swelling yes, puss yes. Wisdom teeth are growing in wrong.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Her wisdom tooth has grown in so far under her gums that it's making her cheek flap spread apart and tearing a hole in the bottom and its infected
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Which antibiotic is she taking and what dosage is she on? The same dentist that prescribed the antibiotic should be able to call in a prescription strength painkiller.In the meantime,rinsing with a strong saltwater solution or hydrogen peroxide can keep the area clear and provide some drainage.Taking 600 mg of ibuprofen and alternating that with 1000 mg of tylenol every four hours should also help to bring some relief.Once I know the antibiotic dosage,I can give you some further information about how to get the pain under control.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Are you still there?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Does your daughter still need help?