Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I got root canal back in 2011, but never went to get my

Customer Question

I got root canal back in 2011, but never went to get my crown. My gum now swollen and hurts. What can the dentists do to fix the problem?
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: No recent injuries, and maybe two days now. Its a small little ball like shape on the side of my gum.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Its really black where the crown was suppose to be placed. The pain is bearable right now at the moment but I see it getting really worse if I don't act quickly. The swelling is specifically on the outer portion of my gum where my tooth was. I believe its the second molar. what type of details should I give?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 8 months ago.

To help me make a better diagnosis, can you upload a photo of that area here?

You can refer to these step-by-step instructions to upload your photo: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Alternatively, you can just use an external photo sharing site like www.imgur.com and copy-paste the URL of the image here.

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As I was saying before I never went back to get a crown after I got a root canal in 2011. Now there's swelling on the outer area where my second right molar use to be
Hello,Thanks for the photo.Unfortunately, your tooth has broken down, and also gotten reinfected. The swollen gum is a sign of an abscess.This is exactly why a tooth with a root canal should be crowned ASAP.You will need prescription antibiotics and also that tooth will need to be extracted.I'm sorry this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but being honest with you.Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you.I do not get credit for it otherwise!Regards, *****

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere