Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

I had my very far back molar pulled three weeks ago. After

Customer Question

I had my very far back molar pulled three weeks ago. After one week I went back because I had a small bone protruding from the gum, they just gave me pain pills and antibiotics. One week later it was suggested that I have it nipped off because it was causing pain and irritation when my tongue rubbed against it. So on Tuesday September 6th I saw a dentist that cut it off, it seemed excessive, he was cutting and cutting. He stitched it up the site where the original spur was and that is healing fine. But, now I have even more pain, behind the orginal spur there is a fairly large piece of bone showing. It looks smooth but there is no gum tissue covering it and it is even more painful than the first bone spur. It feels like a dry REALLY hurts. I had dry sockets when I had my wisdom teeth out wen I was 19 now I am 53 and I have never had problems with anything with my teeth in between until now. I do remember how a dry socket felt and the pain is identical. How will I get this fixed? I called in crying to the dentist yesterday for some pain medication and he said no. I couldn't go in yesterday, it was my first day back to work and I couldn't call in sick. I have an appointment on Monday September 12th. Will this area grow over with tissue eventually? It looks like it is about 1/4" round. This spot was not a problem before I went in to get the bone spur removed. The bone spur was in a different spot and was only causing a small tiny hole.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Without actually examining you or at last seeing a good quality close up photo of the extraction area, I cannot comment what the piece of bone is. Based on your symptoms though it looks like you do have Dry Socket.

A dry socket is typically the result of something that has dislodged the normal blood clot, such as smoking, drinking through a straw, brushing the area, or trying to clean the extraction site. It isnt really dry, but given the name as the extraction socket doesnt have the blood clot and granulating (healing) tissue. I can imagine the excruciating pain you must be experiencing. The extraction socket takes a long time to heal , with a gaping hole is seen for a few weeks. The pain should subside after 10-12 days following the second surgical date (6 September).

Im sorry, but for Dry Sockets, patience is the key. Avoid hot, spicy and hard foodstuff. Take more of cold, sweet and soft food.

A zinc-oxide eugenol based dressing placed in your extraction socket has been shown to help. This would have to be reviewed periodically and changed if required.

Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Dr. Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Dr. Behere