Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I have painful swelling along my jaw line. the tooth number

Customer Question

I have painful swelling along my jaw line. the tooth number 3 swollen gum problem, I need prescription please, my house is close to Walgreen Pharmacy at Shadeland and 75th st.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 5 months ago.

Hi Mary,

Thanks for posting your question today.

Unfortunately the website prohibits us from giving prescriptions. What I suggest you do is immediately start warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face and elevate your head when sleeping. For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.

If you still wish to get an antibiotic tonight you would have to call your dentist or physician and ask for either Amoxicillin 500mg or Clindamycin 300mg which are the drugs of choice for dental infections. If no one is available you can go to an urgent care or ER for a prescription. Please do call for help in the morning. Hope this helps. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Thanks for posting your question today.