Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I seem to be getting a kind of abscess on my face, near my

Customer Question

I seem to be getting a kind of abscess on my face, near my chin. Earlier today I thought it was just a very very small cystic pimple that was slightly painful under the surface and I tried to press on it (I know we shouldn't do that). But now there is visible swelling which is probably about 1.5" x 1" on my chin just above my jaw line. Within the last couple hours it's gotten extremely painful to open my jaw. I tried a warm compress with epsome salts but it's continuing to get a little more swollen.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can feel a pulse in the swelling. I do not fee like a have a temperature (but haven't taken it). This doesn't feel like a dental problem but more like an abcess under the skin
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 month ago.

Hi Kama, thanks for posting your question today.

Are you having any tooth related problems like biting sensitivity or internal swelling? Any soreness in the mouth below the teeth? If your answers are no then you should call your physician for help and if not available then you would need to go to an urgent care or ER for some medication.

If you can upload a photo it would help in the diagnosis.

You can use this link for instructions: ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like:, and then send me the link.

Hi Karma, just following up to see if you need more information and how you are doing.

Hi Karma, are you still swollen?