Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I am 46. I have a tooth that is being pushed up by an

Customer Question

Hello, I am 46 . I have a tooth that is being pushed up by an infection. it just started to pain me about two weeks now. I visited the Dentist and he said it is too far gone. It can't be saved. He said the infection is pushing the tooth upward and if he were to fill it . It may cause problems later on down the line. The filling could fragment where i would be in greater pain. My tooth only started to hurt two weeks now. It has been appearing taller for a while but this all seems so quick. My question: I really want to save my tooth can it be done safely?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: I haven't seen swelling but the tooth isn't quite in line with the other teeth and it appears taller.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: last visit 2 years ago.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

If the tooth is infected and can't be saved,why was a filling even suggested? Can you upload a picture of this tooth?We don't fill infected teeth.They are either extracted or they have root canal therapy.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Are there missing teeth above this tooth that have not been replaced?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 month ago.

Are you still there?